We go on road trips far more then I would like to by traveling form Arizona to Utah and back at least once a month. It is about a 8 hour drive plus the few stops we make with our kids make it a good 10 hour one way trek. We have gotten pretty good at road trips over the last year and so today I am excited to be sharing my must have road trip items for adults + kids! I always try to prepare and organize before we leave because it helps with keeping my sanity. I always start out by planing out where we are going to stop and for how long. Which with kids this doesn’t always happen accurately but if I have somewhat of a outline it helps keep us on schedule.*Affiliate Disclosure. Any/all of the links below are affiliate links of which I receive a small commission from sales of certain items to help my family, but the price is the same for you.*
some of my Must have items for road trips are //
- Car Seat Organizer | Having a carseat organizer is one of the best investments that I have made. I like to have one on each side even though Wilder is still rear facing. It helps keep my must have items right there and off the floor. I love the one I have linked because it holds two water bottles or sippy cups, wipes, a Ipad mini and other things. It also helps protects my seats from Archer kicking them non stop.
- Car Trash Can | Having one of these cheap little trashcans in your car is another life saving hack. We always have so much garbage while we are on the road whether it be from eating fast food, or opening fruit snacks! Keeping the garbage picked up is one way to ensure that we have a easy and organized road trip.
- Ipad Mini | We got Archer one of Archer during all of Wilder’s trips back and forth to his doctor and it’s been one of the best purchases we have made. We tried the kindle fire and we just couldn’t figure out how to work it properly so we got the Ipad. Archer can pick his own shows to watch with and without internet.
- car USB port | We are always running out of USB ports to charge our devices while so having this big USB Charging port is awesome to make sure that everyone has their cords plugged in.
- Snacks + Water bottles | We always but either a few gallons of drinking water or a case of water bottles before every road trip. It’s nice to not have to buy water while out on the road and with having a baby I don’t like to use water from gas stations so having proper drinking water is a must have in our book for making his bottles. We also like to buy snacks before we leave from the grocery store because gas station snacks tend to run more $$.
- Snack Caddy | This one of my favorite road trip hacks for littles. Order a car caddy for each kid and we call them our snack caddy. Inside we put a sippy cup or water bottle along with some snacks and a few toys! It’s easy that the kids aren’t spilling fruit snacks in the car and it holds everything right on their lap. Archer also likes to carry his around when we reach our destination.
- Pop Socket + Holder | This is a total game changer in my book when I am driving. We are always using our GPS to make sure we don’t take the wrong route and I hate having to look down at my phone on my lap or depend on T to give me directions. I have a pop socket along with the car adapter/holder and it makes it SO nice to have it stuck right in front of me during our trips!
- Sheet Pan Toy | This is another hack that we use during road trips! You just buy a metal sheet pan and then you find some toys (ABC, Animals, numbers) that are magnetic to stick to it. Archer spends hours just playing with the alphabet or some of his magnetic toys. After we just put them in a zip lock baggy and store in the car for road trips!
- Portable Dog Dishes | If you have a dog like we do, we always make sure to have a small bag or box for the dogs. We keep inside a small bag of dog food, water bottles, portable dog dishes are a must, and some leashes.
- Music | Always always need a good play list of music for a road trip! We always love to listen to our itunes radio or XM!
Hopefully some of these tips and must have items will help make your next road trip easy!